Haunting

For as long as I can remember, my mom made me promise three things under penalty of haunting:

  1. I would never put her in a nursing home.
  2. If she ever had to be on life support, I wouldn't unplug her.
  3. I would make sure she was buried, not cremated.
Ultimately, #3 was the only promise I could keep, and Mom wasn't the type to grade on a curve.

Yet, she isn't the parent who haunts me.

When my dad died, I was two states away with a newborn baby. I had made the trip to see him four weeks postpartum, and there was no doubt the end was near. But I couldn't make the trip twice in such a short period of time, and other family members couldn't get together for a funeral right away, either. 

So, we did the only thing we could do: My older sister had him cremated, and we had a memorial service a few months later.

That was 12 years ago, and I still have dreams that my dad has called but we have a bad phone connection and I can't understand him. I dream he is coming to visit, but he doesn't show up when expected and I'm worried. Or he DOES show up, and I'm overjoyed to see him.

If I had to choose the parent I was closest to, I would hands-down say it was NOT my dad. But my psyche seems unwilling to accept he is gone. On the other hand, my mom - whose hand I held while her heart stopped beating, whose funeral I planned, who threatened to haunt me over two of the three promises I broke - is almost suspiciously silent.

It's hard to witness your loved ones die. Attending a funeral is not on the top of anyone's "things I enjoy" list. But I think not having that final closure with my dad is the reason why he - unintentionally, I'm sure - continues to haunt me.

Either that or Mom found a way to give him a honey-do list even in the afterlife. Maybe she found a way to haunt me after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting yourself out there

The examined life

Recorded for quality assurance purposes